Category Archives: Wyre Trawlers

M.T. Ross Heron – GY693

Technical

Official Number: 303294
Yard Number: 1468
Completed: 1962
Gross Tonnage: 288
net Tonnage: 92
Length: 107.5 ft
Breadth: 24.5 ft
Depth: 12.5 ft
Engine: 695bhp 6cyl 4SA by Ruston Hornsby Lincoln
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Speed: 12.5 kts

History

25.10.1961: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1468) for Ross Trawlers Ltd, Grimsby as ROSS HERON.
17.04.19062: Completed. Cost to build £131,000 (WFA Grant £31,000).
02.05.1962: Registered at Grimsby (GY693).
01.07.1969: Became part of the British United Trawlers (B.U.T.) fleet. B.U.T. livery adopted. Book value £67,149.
30.09.1969: Sold to Goweroak Ltd, Grimsby.
03.03.1970: Transferred to fish out of Fleetwood. Wyre Trawlers Ltd, managing agents.
11.11.1971: Fishing out of Granton.
17.08.1981: Sold to The Colne Shipping Co Ltd, Luton.
1981: Converted to offshore platform standby safety vessel.
14.09.1981: Grimsby registry closed.
09.1981: Registered at Lowestoft as MUSTIQUE exchanged names with existing MUSTIQUE O.N.184923 (laid up with engine damage).
07.1991: Sold to Spearing International Ltd, Dartford in en bloc deal with COLNE HUNTER (442grt/1963).
29.07.1991: Sailed Lowestoft for River Medway, MUSTIQUE towing COLNE HUNTER.
10.08.1991: Delivered Medway for breaking up at Bloors Wharf, Rainham by Masterman Iron & Steel Shipbreakers Ltd. Registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Ross Heron GY693

M.T. Ross Heron GY693
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

M.T. Ross Heron GY693

M.T. Ross Heron GY693
Picture courtesy of Fred Baker

ORSV Mustique

ORSV Mustique
Picture courtesy of Peter Hearn

Changelog
01/11/2016: Information updated.

M.T. Wyre Captain – FD228

Additional information courtesy of David Slinger, David Buckley and Mike Thompson

Technical

Official Number: 185142
Yard Number: 1381
Completed: 1953
Gross Tonnage: 514
Net Tonnage: 184
Length: 161.1 ft
Breadth: 29.2 ft
Depth: 13.7 ft
Built: Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: 960bhp Oil engine 8-cyl by Crossley Bros Ltd, Manchester
Speed: 13.2 knots

History

Contract price £154,800 final £161,000
9.7.1952: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1381) for Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as PRINCE CHARLES.
6.1.1953: Completed.
28.1.1953: Registered at Hull (H249). Basil Arthur Parkes, North Ferriby appointed manager.
29.1.1953: Sailed Hull on first trip to Norway coast (Sk. Robert Alan Cook).
23.2.1953: At Hull landed 1585 kits, £4,928 gross.
9.12.1954: Sailed Hull on last trip from port for White Sea (Sk.Sidney Ness).
31.12.1954: Landed at Hull 1824 kits, £4,396 gross. Transferred to fish out of Grimsby.
1.1.1955: Henry Norman Rogers appointed skipper.
3.12.1955: Sailed Grimsby for Barents Sea grounds (Sk. Thomas H. Baskcomb); twenty-one crew.
22.12.1955: Set course for home.
23.12.1955: Picked up a pilot at Honningsvag for passage through Norwegian fjords.
23.12.1955: In darkness when some 60 miles west of Hammerfest in a snowstorm stranded on Karken Island. Norwegian motor vessel INGÖY (433grt/1950) rescued twelve crew from shore but nine men including the skipper and a Norwegian pilot were lost. HNoMS NORDKYN (P.No.F309) and Hull trawler KINGSTON TOPAZ (H145) stood by overnight in the hope of finding more survivors.
24.12.1955: At 0700 search abandoned and shortly after vessel capsized.
1956: During summer Norwegian salvors succeeded in refloating and towed to Tromso for survey.
6.1956: Sold to underwriters.
13.6.1956: Sold to The British Trawlers Reinsurance Association Ltd, Hull. Insurance value £148,000.
15.9.1956 : Sold to Loch Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Thomas Hudson manager).
3.10.1956: Arrived at Hull in tow of Norwegian salvage tug ULLER (319grt/1943). Survey on slip revealed extensive damage to shell plating port side and broken propeller blades. Humber St. Andrew’s Engineering Co Ltd, Hull entrusted with repairs.
03.1.1957: Registered at Hull as LOCH MELFORT.
6.1957: Re-engined with 8-cyl 1185bhp oil engine by Mirrlees, Bickerton & Day Ltd, Stockport. 12.5knts.
15.06.1957: New Certificate of Registration issued on alteration of tonnage and other particulars following new engine installation. 490grt 170net.
10.3.1960: Outward for Norwegian Coast grounds (Sk. William Moon, Scarborough); twenty crew. In thick fog, in collision 65 miles off the mouth of the Humber with Indian motor vessel JALADHIR (6527grt/1957) sustaining heavy damage to fore end; no injuries to crew in either vessel. Returned to Hull stern first at 3 knots escorted by JALADHIR until met by Hull tug FOREMAN (227grt/1959) which connected and assisted to dock.
11.3.1960: Berthed in fish dock on afternoon tide. Repaired and returned to service.
26.5.1960 Company bought outright by Hellyer Bros Ltd.
10.12.1962 Hellyer Bros amalgamated with Associated Fisheries Ltd.
22.7.1964: Sailed Hull on last trip from port for Iceland (Sk. Henry Joseph Morgan).
11.8.1964: At Hull landed 1117 kits, 601 shelf, £4,621 gross.. Transferred within the Associated Fisheries Group to Wyre Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood.
14.8.1964: Kenneth Owers appointed skipper.
18.8.1964: Sold to Wyre Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Leslie Wheldon manager).
10.9.1964: Roy Belcher appointed skipper.
14.9.1966: Hull registry closed.
15.9.1966 Registered at Fleetwood (FD228).
03.04.1868: Outbound for fishing grounds (Sk. Ken Owers) in collision with Black Scar Perch, which was not lit, and demolished it. Grounded on Black Scar.
24.7.1968: Registered at Fleetwood as WYRE CAPTAIN (FD228).
1.7.1969: Became part of the B.U.T. fleet when Ross Group amalgamated with Associated Fisheries to form British United Trawlers Ltd. Book value £45,806.
1975: Laid up.
6.6.1976: Sold to Mayer Newman & Co Ltd, London and allocated to Porthleven Shipyard for breaking up.
10.6.1976: Arrived Porthleven in tow of tug OCEAN PULLER (145grt/1943).
1.1.1977: Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Prince Charles H249

M.T. Prince Charles H249
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

M.T. Loch Melfort H249

M.T. Loch Melfort H249
Picture courtesy of David Slinger

M.T. Loch Melfort H249

M.T. Loch Melfort H249
Picture courtesy of David Slinger

M.T. Loch Melfort FD228

M.T. Loch Melfort FD228

M.T. Loch Melfort  FD228

M.T. Loch Melfort FD228
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection


M.T. Loch Melfort FD228

M.T. Loch Melfort FD228
Picture courtesy of The David Buckley Collection

M.T. Wyre Captain FD228

M.T. Wyre Captain FD228

M.T. Wyre Captain FD228

M.T. Wyre Captain FD228
Picture courtesy of Len Charnley

Changelog
10/10/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.
24/03/2017: Image added. FMHT logo removed from other images.

M.T. Lorenzo – FD348

Technical

Official Number: 365789
RSS Number: A13230
IMO Number: 7422506
Completed: 1977
Gross Tonnage: 161grt / 60nrt
Length: 23.25 m
Breadth: 6.86 m
Depth: 2.9 m
Engine: 4 stroke 6-cyl 750bhp/552kW oil engine by Mirrlees Blackstone Ltd, Stockport CP Propeller

History

1973: Ordered from Ryton Marine Ltd, Wallsend on Tyne for Sk. James McLean, Peterhead & Caley Fisheries Group, Aberdeen.
1974: Ryton Marine Ltd in liquidation.
1974: Order transferred to Intrepid Marine International Ltd, Berwick.
3.1975: Intrepid Marine International Ltd, Berwick in liquidation. Berwick Shipyard taken over by Associated Fisheries Ltd, Hull.
1975: Sk. McLean sold interest to Caley Fisheries Group, Peterhead.
1976: Shipyard continued building under title of Tweed Shipyard (Berwick) Ltd. Vessel transferred to Associated Fisheries Group.
1976: Launched by Tweed Shipyard (Berwick) Ltd, Berwick (Yd.No.1004) for British United Trawlers (Grimsby) Ltd, Grimsby (Associated Fisheries Group) as LORENZO.
1976: Allocated by British United Trawlers to Fleetwood (Wyre Trawlers Ltd, managers).
3.1977: Completed. Registered at Fleetwood (FD348).
1978: Sold to Sk. Arthur Buchan, Peterhead & Caley Fisheries (Peterhead) Ltd. Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Peterhead (PD239).
1990: Sold to Stephen Ritchie Jnr, St. Fergus & Others (Peterhead Fishermen Ltd, agents). Renamed SUNLIGHT (PD187).
199?: Fitted with a shelterdeck.
2002: Decommissioned and sold for demolition.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Benvolio FD347

M.T. Benvolio FD347
Picture © Peter Brady

M.T. Benvolio FD347

M.T. Benvolio FD347
Picture © Peter Brady

Changelog
07/10/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.

M.T. Benvolio – FD347

Technical

Official Number: 365788
Built: 1976, Tweed Shipyard, Berwick
RSS Number: A13269
Gross Tonnage: 164grt / 63nrt
Length: 86 ft
Breadth: 21′ 11″
Depth: 9 ft
Owner: British United Trawlers, Wyre Trawlers Ltd, managers

History

1973: Ordered from Ryton Marine Ltd, Wallsend on Tyne for Sk. Alex Strachan, Peterhead & Caley Fisheries Group, Aberdeen.
1974: Ryton Marine Ltd in liquidation.
1974: Order transferred to Intrepid Marine International Ltd, Berwick.
3.1975: Intrepid Marine International Ltd, Berwick in liquidation. Berwick Shipyard taken over by Associated Fisheries Ltd, Hull.
1975: Sk. Strachan sold interest to Caley Fisheries Group, Aberdeen.
1976: Shipyard continued building under title of Tweed Shipyard (Berwick) Ltd. Vessel transferred to Associated Fisheries Group.
1976: Launched by Tweed Shipyard (Berwick) Ltd, Berwick (Yd.No.1003) for British United Trawlers (Grimsby) Ltd, Grimsby (Associated Fisheries Group) as DEVOTION (PD147).
1976: Completed as OLIVIA.
1976: Allocated by British United Trawlers to Fleetwood (Wyre Trawlers Ltd, managers). Renamed BENVOLIO (FD347).
7th October 1976: Maiden Voyage.
1978: Sold to Sk. Peter B. Ritchie, Peterhead & Caley Fisheries (Peterhead) Ltd. Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Peterhead (PD243).
1986: Renamed ILLUSTRIOUS (PD243).
1990(?): Sold to Andrew Ritchie, St. Fergus & Others (Peterhead Fishermen Ltd, agents).
199?: Fitted with a shelterdeck.
4 stroke 6-cyl 720bhp/537kW oil engine by Mirrlees Blackstone Ltd, Stockport.
199?: Re-engined with 740bhp/545kW oil engine by Caterpillar.
2002: Decommissioned and sold for demolition.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Benvolio FD347

M.T. Benvolio FD347
Picture © Peter Brady

M.T. Benvolio FD347

M.T. Benvolio FD347
Picture © Peter Brady

Changelog
07/10/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.

M.T. Wyre Revenge – FD432

Additional information courtesy of David Slinger

Technical

Official Number: 187850
Yard Number: 1413
Completed: 1956
Gross Tonnage: 338
Net Tonnage: 119
Length: 132 ft
Breadth: 27.3 ft
Depth: 13.5 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby, 1956
Engine: 736bhp 7-cyl Mirrlees
Speed: 11.25 knots

History

1956: Completed by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd. No. 1413) for Wyre Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood, as WYRE REVENGE. Registered at Fleetwood (FD432).
12.1958: On a trip to the Outer Hebrides (Sk. Jack Pickess). Put into Stornoway for medical treatment for deckhand William Eccles Holt who was having problems with a hand injury sustained while serving on another vessel. Berthed at Stornoway on Christmas Day but Mr. Eccles could not be found. Stornoway police dragged the harbour to no avail.
01.07. 1969: Transferred to British United Trawlers.
18.10.1974: Eddie McCoy Lost overboard off the Shetlands. His body was never recovered.
07/04.1978: Transferred to BUT Aberdeen.
1979: Sold to shipbreakers J Gibson Johnson Ltd Hull en bloc with WYRE DEFENCE, and resold to H Kitson Vickers & Sons (Engineering) Ltd.
12.1979: Resold to S Dalton Skip Hire Ltd and broken up at Bo’ness. 14.01.1980: Fleetwood registry closed.

Note: She was the last British trawler to land a catch from Iceland when the Cod War ended in December 1976.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Wyre Revenge FD432

M.T. Wyre Revenge FD432
Picture courtesy of Len Charnley

M.T. Wyre Revenge FD432

M.T. Wyre Revenge FD432

M.T. Wyre Revenge FD432

M.T. Wyre Revenge FD432
Picture courtesy of Peter Hearn

M.T. Wyre Revenge FD432

M.T. Wyre Revenge FD432
Picture courtesy of The Mike Thompson Collection

Changelog
04/10/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.
28/10/2016: Image added.

M.T. Wyre Corsair (2) – FD27

Technical

Official Number: 308719
Yard Number: 863
Launched: 26/08/1952
Registered: 08/09/1952
Completed: 1952
Gross Tonnage: 498
Length: 151 ft
Breadth: 29.1 ft
Depth: 14.75 ft
Engine: 810bhp oil engine by Mirlees, Bickerton & Day
Speed: 11.5 knots

History

26.08.1952 Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd. No. 863) for Boston Deep Sea Fisheries (French Subsidiary) (Pecheries de la Morinie) (Paul Ficheux manager) Boulogne as “Boston Javelin”.
Sold before completion to Armement Pecheries de la Mosinie, Boulogne, France and renamed SAINT CLAUDE II.
05.1965: Sold to Le Garroc & L Soublin, Fecamp. Registered at Fecamp (F 1219)
19.12.1966: Sold to Lagarde Lecanu & Lepore Lecanu, Fecamp and renamed SAINT CLAUDE.
24.01.1968: Sold to Wyre Trawlers, Fleetwood and renamed WYRE CORSAIR. Registered at Fleetwood (FD27).
09.07.1971: Sold to British United Trawlers (Finance) Ltd, Hull.
1976: Sold for scrap to Mayer Newman & Co Ltd.
21.11.1976: Arrived at Hayle for breaking.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Boston Javelin B2655

M.T. Boston Javelin B2655

M.T. Wyre Corsair FD27

M.T. Wyre Corsair FD27
Picture courtesy of Stephen Myerscough

M.T. Wyre Corsair FD27

M.T. Wyre Corsair FD27
Picture courtesy of Phillip Dell

M.T. Wyre Corsair FD27

M.T. Wyre Corsair FD27
Picture courtesy of David Slinger

M.T. Wyre Corsair FD27

M.T. Wyre Corsair FD27

Changelog
02/10/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.
21/11/2016: Picture added.
09/12/2016: Picture added.

M.T. Wyre Conqueror – FD187

Additional information courtesy of Jonleif Joensson, Geoff Davidson and Maureen Naylor

Technical

Official Number: 301879
Yard Number: 950
Completed: 25/07/1959
Registered: 29/10/1959
Gross Tonnage: 398
Net Tonnage: 135
Length: 136 ft
Breadth: 27.7 ft
Depth: 14.25 ft
Engine: Mirlees Bickerton & Day developing 860 BHP
Speed : 11.75 knots

History

1959: Completed by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley (Yd. No. 950) as WYRE CONQUEROR for Wyre Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood. Registered at Fleetwood (FD187).
18.01.1966: In a heavy snowstorm and with a faulty radar (Sk. J. Mecklenburgh) grounded at Mýrdalsansd on the South Coast of Iceland. Crew rescued by breeches buoy by the Icelandic Lifesaving Association.
22.01.1966: Crew flown back to UK.
23.01.1966: Refloated by the gunboat Odin and taken to Reykjavik and found to be undamaged.
1974: On an Icelandic trip. Sailed for 15 minutes through shipping lanes with the wheel unattended. Skipper locked in cabin by a crewman who then threw the keys overboard. Bosun attempted to pick the lock with a screwdriver but failed. Resorted to smashing the door in, injuring the skipper. Two crew later charged at Magistrates court with stealing the keys. The incident was put down to alcohol.
07.04.1978: Transferred to Aberdeen (all Wyre trawlers transferred by BUT)
1979: Sold for scrap to J Gibson Johnston Ltd, Hull.
1979: Re-sold to H Kitson Vickers & Sons Engineering Ltd then re-sold to S Dalton Skip Hire Ltd.
12.1979: arrived Bo’ness for breaking.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Wyre Conqueror FD187

M.T. Wyre Conqueror FD187
Picture courtesy of Peter Hearn

M.T. Wyre Conqueror FD187

M.T. Wyre Conqueror FD187
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

M.T. Wyre Conqueror FD187

M.T. Wyre Conqueror FD187
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

Changelog
30/09/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.

M.T. Wyre Gleaner – FD269

Technical

Official Number: 185150
Yard Number: 830
Completed: 1953
Gross Tonnage: 498
Length: 169.1 ft
Breadth: 29.1 ft
Built: Cooke, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Engine: Mirlees, Bickerton & Day developing 1050BHP
Speed: 12.1 knots

History

22.08.1952: Completed by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.830) for St Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as PRINCESS ANNE. Registered at Hull (H268).
08.05.1954: Sold to Pecheries de la Marine, Bolougne, France and renamed ST JUST (B 2672).
17.03.1967: Sold to Wyre Trawlers, Fleetwood and renamed WYRE GLEANER. Registered at Fleetwood (FD269).
09.07.1971: Sold to British United Trawlers (Finance) Ltd, Hull.
02.06.1976: Last landing.
06.1976: Sold to Stanley Ferry Dismantlers Ltd, Hayle site for demolition.
24.07.1976: Sailed Fleetwood for Hayle.
08.1976: Demolition commenced.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Wyre Gleaner FD269

M.T. Wyre Gleaner FD269
Picture courtesy of Len Charnley

M.T. Wyre Gleaner FD269

M.T. Wyre Gleaner FD269
Picture courtesy of Mark Stopper

Changelog
25/09/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.

M.T. Wyre Vanguard – FD36

Technical

Official Number: 187841
Yard Number: 1406
Completed: 1955
Gross Tonnage: 338
Net Tonnage: 119
Length: 132.5 ft
Breadth: 27.25 ft
Depth: 13.5 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: 735bhp 7-cyl Mirrlees
Speed: 11.25 knots

History

28.11.1955: Completed by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby for Wyre Trawlers Ltd
Fleetwood, as WYRE VANGUARD.
29.11.1955: Registered at Fleetwood (FD36).
01.07.1969: Became part of British United Trawlers fleet.
10.1973: On a trip to Faroes (Sk. Roy Belcher) reported to owners that a stowaway, identified as Adam Davis of Northendon, had been discovered.
1974: Converted for pair trawling (for Herring) with the WYRE MAJESTIC.
18.05.1978: Transferred to British United Trawlers (Aberdeen) Ltd Aberdeen (FD36).
1979: Sold to shipbreakers J Gibson Johnson Ltd, Hull en bloc with WYRE REVENGE, then resold to H Kitson Vickers & Sons (Engineering) Ltd.
12.1979: Resold again to S Dalton Skip Hire Ltd and broken up at Bo’ness.
14.01.1980: Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Wyre Vanguard FD36

M.T. Wyre Vanguard FD36
Picture courtesy of Peter Hearn

M.T Wyre Vanguard FD36

M.T Wyre Vanguard FD36
Picture courtesy of Mark Stopper

M.T Wyre Vanguard FD36

M.T. Wyre Vanguard FD36
Picture courtesy of Peter Hearn

Changelog
25/09/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.

M.T. Wyre Victory – FD181

Technical

Official Number: 301881
Yard Number: 951
Completed: 1959
Launched: 07/09/1959
Registered: 09/01/1960
Gross Tonnage: 398
Length: 140 ft
Breadth: 28 ft
Depth: 14 ft
Engine: 860bhp Mirlees Bickerton & Day
Speed: 11.75 knots

History

1959: Completed by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd. No. 951) for Wyre Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood as WYRE VICTORY. Registered at Fleetwood (FD181).
17.12.1971: On an Iceland trip landed 916 kits of fish for 14 days (Sk. Tom Watson). Catch included 700 kits of cod and 150 of plaice for £10,207.
14.01.1976: Outward bound for Iceland vessel grounded on submerged reef at Mill Rocks, west of the Isle of Rhum in the Inner Hebrides.

At 6:45 Oban radio received a distress message stating that she had struck Mill Rocks to the SW of Oigh Sgeir Lighthouse (between Barra and Rum), and was badly holed forward and making water fast. At 07:14 the ferry IONA picked up a liferaft with the crew on board. The skipper and the radio operator stayed with the stricken vessel.

WYRE VICTORY’S sister ship, WYRE CONQUEROR, responded to her distress call and floated 3 liferafts across to her. At 07:22 Oban was advised that the wreck had been abandoned but had drifted off the rocks. WYRE CONQUEROR hoped to tow her to Canna but, after drifting with the tide, WYRE VICTORY sank.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Wyre Victory FD181

M.T. Wyre Victory FD181
Picture courtesy of Peter Hearn

M.T. Wyre Victory FD181

M.T. Wyre Victory FD181
Picture courtesy of Peter Hearn

M.T. Wyre Victory FD181

M.T. Wyre Victory FD181
Picture courtesy of Mark Stopper

M.T. Wyre Victory FD181

M.T. Wyre Victory FD181
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

Victory-Newsclip

Wyre Victory
Newsclip courtesy of Geoff Davidson

Changelog

25/09/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.
05/04/2017: Added Image and removed FMHT logo.