Additional information courtesy of David Slinger, David Buckley and Mike Thompson
Official Number: 185142
Yard Number: 1381
Gross Tonnage: 514
Net Tonnage: 184
Length: 161.1 ft
Breadth: 29.2 ft
Depth: 13.7 ft
Built: Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: 960bhp Oil engine 8-cyl by Crossley Bros Ltd, Manchester
Speed: 13.2 knots
Contract price £154,800 final £161,000
9.7.1952: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1381) for Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as PRINCE CHARLES.
28.1.1953: Registered at Hull (H249). Basil Arthur Parkes, North Ferriby appointed manager.
29.1.1953: Sailed Hull on first trip to Norway coast (Sk. Robert Alan Cook).
23.2.1953: At Hull landed 1585 kits, £4,928 gross.
9.12.1954: Sailed Hull on last trip from port for White Sea (Sk.Sidney Ness).
31.12.1954: Landed at Hull 1824 kits, £4,396 gross. Transferred to fish out of Grimsby.
1.1.1955: Henry Norman Rogers appointed skipper.
3.12.1955: Sailed Grimsby for Barents Sea grounds (Sk. Thomas H. Baskcomb); twenty-one crew.
22.12.1955: Set course for home.
23.12.1955: Picked up a pilot at Honningsvag for passage through Norwegian fjords.
23.12.1955: In darkness when some 60 miles west of Hammerfest in a snowstorm stranded on Karken Island. Norwegian motor vessel INGÖY (433grt/1950) rescued twelve crew from shore but nine men including the skipper and a Norwegian pilot were lost. HNoMS NORDKYN (P.No.F309) and Hull trawler KINGSTON TOPAZ (H145) stood by overnight in the hope of finding more survivors.
24.12.1955: At 0700 search abandoned and shortly after vessel capsized.
1956: During summer Norwegian salvors succeeded in refloating and towed to Tromso for survey.
6.1956: Sold to underwriters.
13.6.1956: Sold to The British Trawlers Reinsurance Association Ltd, Hull. Insurance value £148,000.
15.9.1956 : Sold to Loch Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Thomas Hudson manager).
3.10.1956: Arrived at Hull in tow of Norwegian salvage tug ULLER (319grt/1943). Survey on slip revealed extensive damage to shell plating port side and broken propeller blades. Humber St. Andrew’s Engineering Co Ltd, Hull entrusted with repairs.
03.1.1957: Registered at Hull as LOCH MELFORT.
6.1957: Re-engined with 8-cyl 1185bhp oil engine by Mirrlees, Bickerton & Day Ltd, Stockport. 12.5knts.
15.06.1957: New Certificate of Registration issued on alteration of tonnage and other particulars following new engine installation. 490grt 170net.
10.3.1960: Outward for Norwegian Coast grounds (Sk. William Moon, Scarborough); twenty crew. In thick fog, in collision 65 miles off the mouth of the Humber with Indian motor vessel JALADHIR (6527grt/1957) sustaining heavy damage to fore end; no injuries to crew in either vessel. Returned to Hull stern first at 3 knots escorted by JALADHIR until met by Hull tug FOREMAN (227grt/1959) which connected and assisted to dock.
11.3.1960: Berthed in fish dock on afternoon tide. Repaired and returned to service.
26.5.1960 Company bought outright by Hellyer Bros Ltd.
10.12.1962 Hellyer Bros amalgamated with Associated Fisheries Ltd.
22.7.1964: Sailed Hull on last trip from port for Iceland (Sk. Henry Joseph Morgan).
11.8.1964: At Hull landed 1117 kits, 601 shelf, £4,621 gross.. Transferred within the Associated Fisheries Group to Wyre Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood.
14.8.1964: Kenneth Owers appointed skipper.
18.8.1964: Sold to Wyre Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Leslie Wheldon manager).
10.9.1964: Roy Belcher appointed skipper.
14.9.1966: Hull registry closed.
15.9.1966 Registered at Fleetwood (FD228).
03.04.1868: Outbound for fishing grounds (Sk. Ken Owers) in collision with Black Scar Perch, which was not lit, and demolished it. Grounded on Black Scar.
24.7.1968: Registered at Fleetwood as WYRE CAPTAIN (FD228).
1.7.1969: Became part of the B.U.T. fleet when Ross Group amalgamated with Associated Fisheries to form British United Trawlers Ltd. Book value £45,806.
1975: Laid up.
6.6.1976: Sold to Mayer Newman & Co Ltd, London and allocated to Porthleven Shipyard for breaking up.
10.6.1976: Arrived Porthleven in tow of tug OCEAN PULLER (145grt/1943).
1.1.1977: Fleetwood registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
10/10/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.
24/03/2017: Image added. FMHT logo removed from other images.
30/07/2017: Added an image.
04/01/2018: Added an image.