Author Archives: William Brixham

M.T. Glen Carron A427

Technical

Official Number: 359080
Yard Number: 327
Completed: 01/01/1974
Gross Tonnage: 299
Net Tonnage: 113
Length: 32.44 m
Breadth: 8.44 m
Depth: 4.75 m
Launched: 15/10/1973
Built: Clelands Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Wilmington Quay
Engines: 4SA, 8cyl (222 x 292mm), 1250bhp; (1985: 6cyl (250 x 300mm)) oil engine by Mirrlees Blackstone Ltd, Stamford

History

01/01/1974: Completed for J Marr (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen. Registered A427.
1982: Sold to Heimaskagi H/F, Iceland; renamed SKIPASKAGI.
1985: Re-engined by Bergens Mek Versteder.
1992: Sold to Valdimar H/F, Vogar; renamed THURIDUR HALLDORSDOTTIR.
1995: Renamed STURLA.
2004: Renamed SOLBORG.
2005: Sold to Verdalir EHF, Bildudaldur, Iceland; renamed HALLGRIMUR.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Glen Carron A427

M.T. Glen Carron A427
Picture courtesy of The Ted Hammill Collection

M.T. Glen Carron A427

M.T. Glen Carron A427
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

Changelog

24/08/2018: Page published.

M.T. Genesis FD19

Technical and historical information needed about this vessel. Please contact info@fleetwood-fishing-industry.co.uk

Click to enlarge images

Genesis BCK19

Genesis BCK19
Picture courtesy of Tommy Kirkpatrick

M.T. Genisis FD19

M.T. Genisis FD19
Picture courtesy of Tommy Kirkpatrick

Changelog
03/08/2018: Page published.

M.T. Swanella (3) H421

Additional information courtesy of David Slinger

Technical

Official Number: 308571
Yard Number: 554
Completed: 1967
Gross Tonnage: 1179
Length: 247.9 ft
Breadth: 40.8 ft
Depth: 8.08 m
Built: Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole
Engine: Diesel-electric 2 x 12-cyl ‘V’ oil engines 1550bhp by English Electric Ltd, Preston connected to 1 x electric motor 2100shp – 15 knots
Capable of freezing 600 kits per day in 90LB blocks.

History

017.10.1966: Launched at Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.554) by Mrs E.Stirk (mother in law of Geoffrey Alan Marr) for J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood as SWANELLA.
1967: Completed. Registered at Hull (H421).
31.01.1967: Ran sea trials.
03.02.1967: Sailed from Hull on her maiden voyage (Skipper Charles Drever) bound for the Newfoundland fishing grounds. Halfway through her maiden voyage she suffered a fractured crank shaft which reduced the engine power by 50% This proved inadequate and she was brought home early arriving back at Hull on the 27th March landing 447 tonnes.
1967: Set up a new record catch of 665.5 tonnes (Skipper Charles Drever).
1969: The company’s top trawler landing 4,105 tonnes of fish for 307 days at sea, only 64 tonnes behind the top freezer LADY PARKES H397 which recieved a place in the Guinness book of records.
12.6.1981: Sold to KaareMisje & Co, Bergen and converted to a diving support ship.
1982: Hull registry closed. Registered at Panama as ARCHEMEDES.
19855: DRIVE PERFORMER.
1988: NORTH SEA COMMANDER.
1990: Sold to DSND Shipping, Norway. Renamed SEAWAY COMMANDER.
2004: ALLIED COMMANDER, Panama flag.
2009: Sold to How Choi Marine Ltd, Hong Kong. Renamed EGS EXPLORER St Vincent & Grenadines Flag.
2013: Renamed GEO EXPLORER, Nevis & St. Kitts flag.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Swanella H421

M.T. Swanella H421
Picture from the Internet

M.T. Swanella H421

M.T. Swanella H421
Picture from the Internet

M.V. Seaway Commander

M.V. Seaway Commander
Picture from the Internet

M.V. Allied Commander

M.V. Allied Commander
Picture from the Internet

M.T. Swanella H421

M.T. Swanella H421
Picture from the Internet

M.T. Swanella H241

M.T. Swanella H421
Picture courtesy of The Ted Hammill Collection

Changelog
29/01/2018: Page published.
30/01/2017: Added information and images.

mfv Moorhen FD306

Technical and historical information needed about this vessel. Please contact info@fleetwood-fishing-industry.co.uk

Technical

Official Number: 187855
Gross Tonnage: 31
Net Tonnage: 15n
Length: 45.00 ft
Engine: 88bhp Gardner 6LW

History

1956: Completed by T. Summers, Fraserburgh for Brixham Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood as MOORHEN.
07.02.1957: Registered at Fleetwood (FD ). Gordon C. Dugdall designated manager.
By 31.08.1960: Sold to Harry Franklin Ltd, Grimsby. Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Grimsby (GY593). Harry Franklin designated managing owner.
By 31.07.1971: Sold to Allard Hewson & Co Ltd, Grimsby. Re-registered at Grimsby
(GY181).
By 1971: Remeasured and registered Part IV only, 22g 22n.
By 31.05.1975: Sold to Ronald Bond, Fleetwood. Grimsby registry closed. Registered at Fleetwood (FD306). Ronald Bond designated managing owner.
By 31.08.1979: Sold to W. H. Gregg & Sons Ltd, Hartlepool and others.
Post 1987: Fate.

Click to enlarge images

mfv Moorhen FD306

mfv Moorhen FD306
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

Changelog
11/09/2017: Page published.
10/12/2017: Significant information update.

mfv Niels Risager FD204

Technical and historical information needed about this vessel. Please contact info@fleetwood-fishing-industry.co.uk

Click to enlarge images

mfv Niels Risager FD204

mfv Niels Risager FD204 towing Broadwater
Picture courtesy of The Philip Dell Collection

Changelog
10/06/2017: Page published.

M.T. Crusader FD71

Technical

Official Number: 366605
RSS Number: A16344.
gross Tonnage: 44
Net Tonnage: 20
Length (loa) 17.29 m
Length: 16.93 m
Breadth: 5.52 m
Depth: 2.31 m
Non-Sector. VCU (Vessel Capacity Unit) – 172.39
Engine: 8-cyl 230bhp/171kW Gardner 8L3B oil engine by L. Gardner & Sons Ltd, Patricroft, Manchester

History

1975: Ordered by Browse Brothers, Paignton.
1976: Completed by J. Hinks & Son Ltd, Appledore (Yd.No.?) for Maurice Browse, Paignton & others as CRUSADER. Registered at Dartmouth (DH71). Based Kingswear, Devon and working the mid-Channel grounds (Sk. Mike Dormon).
07.1978: Sold to Stanley V. Browse, Brixham & others. Registered at Dartmouth as CRUSADER of KINGSWEAR (DH71).
1990s: Became nomadic, fishing out of various ports before being based at Whitehaven and Girvan exploiting the Irish Sea whelk grounds.
By 1993: Sold to Kenneth Browse, Paignton & others.
2010: Laid up at Girvan and offered for sale.
2012: Sold to B & M Fishing LLP, Fleetwood (Anne Mary Bynam, Andrew Robert Bynam & AM Seafoods Ltd). Registered at Fleetwood as CRUSADER (FD71). Continued operating as a whelker.
03.2016: Sold to Timothy Bowman-Davies, Nyeland. Registered at Milford as CRUSADER (M71). Continues to operate out of Milford as a whelker.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Crusader DH71

M.T. Crusader DH71

M.T. Crusader DH71

M.T. Crusader DH71

M.T. Crusader of Kingsmear DH71

M.T. Crusader of Kingswear DH71

M.T. Crusader of Kingsmear DH71

M.T. Crusader of Kingswear DH71

M.T. Crusader FD71

M.T. Crusader FD71

Changelog
06/06/2017: Page published.

mfv Intrepid – BCK75

Additional information courtesy of Fishing News.

Technical

Part IV registered
Completed: 1958
Gross Tonnage: 23.17
Net Tonnage: 23.17
Length: 50.9 ft
Breadth: 16.5 ft
Depth: 6.4 ft
Engine: 95bhp oil engine by Gardner Engines Ltd, Patricroft, Manchester

History

1958: Completed by Macduff Engineering Ltd, Macduff for John Flett, Findochty as TRANSCEND. Registered at Buckie (BCK75).
Undated: Sold to Angus Thomson, Buckie. Registered at Buckie as INTREPID (BCK75).
197?: Sold to Richard Irvin & Sond Ltd, North Shields & others.
1975: Sold to Ronald Bond, Fleetwood.
1975: Re-engined with 150bhp oil engine by Gardner Engines Ltd, Patricroft, Manchester.
1976: Sold to Alex & John Downie, Oban. Buckie registry closed. Registered at Oban (OB280).
1979: Sold to Brian Cox, Filey. Registered at Oban as CHALLENGE (OB280).
1.12.1988: The Merchant Shipping (Registration of Fishing Vessels) Regulations 1988 – RSS No. A12997. Remeasured 35g 23n.
1996: Oban registry closed. Registered at Scarborough as CHALLENGE (SH263).
2000: Sold to Michael S. Barker, Bridlington. New wheelhouse and converted for potting.
2008: Sold to Trevor and Joan Broadhead, Melton Mowbray. Converted to a leisure cruiser.
2012: Scarborough registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

mfv Intrepid BCK75

mfv Intrepid BCK75

Changelog
06/12/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.

mfv Margaret and William – SH142

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall

Technical

Part IV Registered
Completed: 1932
Gross Tonnage: 13.01
Net Tonnage: 13.01
Length: 45.2 ft
Breadth: 13.7 ft
Depth: 4.7 ft
Built: Herd & Mackenzie Ltd, Findochty Banff-shire

History

1932: Launched by Herd & Mackenzie Ltd, Findochty Banff-shire (Yd.No?) for John Robertson & John Robertson, Findochty Banff-shire as “COURAGE” BCK 134.
09.1932: Completed.
21.09.1932: Registered at Buckie BCK 134.
1937: Owned by William Pashby, Scarborough (skipper/owner).
19.11.1927: Buckie registry closed.
20.11.1937: Registered at Scarborough SH 106.
10.05.1943: Owned by Christopher Watkinson (skipper), Richard Cammish, Robert Cammish & Mathew Cammish, Scarborough.
12.08.1945: Owned by William Pashby, Scarborough (skipper/owner).
1961: Owned by Sunderland owners.
10.01.1961: Scarborough registry closed.
1961: Registered at Sunderland.
12.1964: Owned by Colin Charles Jenkinson, Scarborough.
12.1964: Sunderland registry closed.
04.01.1965: Renamed “MARGARET & WILLIAM”.
04.01.1965: Registered at Scarborough SH 142.
14.02.1968: Owned by Robert Edward (skipper), Bampton Yorkshire and George Roy Colbeck, Bridlington.
11.1968: Owned by Fleetwood owners.
14.11.1968: Scarborough registry closed.
11.1968: Registered at Fleetwood.
10.1971: Owned by David Kent, Middlesbrough.
10.1971: Fleetwood registry closed.
08.10.1971: Registered at Hartlepool HL 40.
01.07.1976: Owned by John Roberts, Hartlepool.
01.07.1976: Renamed “LADY GRACE”.

Click to enlarge images

mfv Courage BCK134

mfv Courage BCK134

Changelog
06/12/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.

M.T. Kiroan – FD2

Technical

Official Number: A11476
Yard Number: 405
Completed: 1979
Call Sign: 2USD
Gross Tonnage: 49
Net Tonnage: 49
Length: 23.10 m
Breadth: 6.40 m
Depth: 2.26 m
Engine: 460bhp Deutz SBA12M716U
Built: 1979 by John Lewis & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen
Owners: Neve & Dell Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood

History

1979: Completed by John Lewis & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd. No. 405) for Don Fishing Co. Ltd, Peterhead as LORWOOD INS229.
1985: Renamed JULIE ANN FR121, Owner Unknown. Gutting shelter added.
1988: Re-registered as HELENUS FR121, Owner Ian Peck, Fraserburgh.
10.1993: Renamed KIROAN AH180, Owner Raymond Hall, Arbroath. 4/5th shelterdeck fitted.
May 2002: Re-registered as KIROAN FD2, Owner Neve & Dell Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood. Converted to twin rig trawling.
2007: Sold to KIROAN Ltd McPhee & Partners.
Last information: Still fishing.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Kiroan FD2

M.T. Kiroan FD2
Picture courtesy of Tony Frith

Changelog
06/12/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.

iv Wild Cherry – FD429

Information courtesy of Paul Evans

Technical

Net Tonnage: 9.90 tons
Length: 33′ 10″
Breadth: 10′ 6″
Depth: 3′ 9″

History

01/1904: Completed at Robert Lathom & Co., of Crossens, Southport as WILD CHERRY for John Jones, Dee View Road, Connah’s Quay.
20/03/1906: Registered by owner at Chester (CH7).
25/01/1910: Sold to new owner and re-registered at Ramsey IOM as (RY24).
30/12/1918: Sold to Arthur Walker, Oaklea, Whitehaven and worked by Thomas Tubman.
08/11/1921: Reported as fitted with an engine.
21/02/1922: Sold to Herbert Wilson Walker, Lingmell, Seascale and registered at Whitehaven (WA22).
28/11/1923: Sold to Charles Schofield, 72 Adelaide Street, Fleetwood and registered at Fleetwood (FD429).
03/12/1924: Suffered engine damage.
23/10/1926: Re-engined.
05/01/1940: Sold to William Schofield, Crown Hotel Fleetwood.
13/08/1940: Sold to Robert Anderson Blackledge, Hatfield Avenue, Fleetwood.
25/04/1945: Sold to Vernon Cowpe, 81 Bold Street, Fleetwood and worked by Fred Price.
13/11/1946: Sold to Herbert Rawcliffe, 39 Poulton Road, Fleetwood.
19/5/1954: Sold to Ernest Wilson, 43 Poulton Road, Fleetwood.
14/6/1955: Sold to Willie Wilkinson, Lytham St Annes who laid her up in Allanson’s boatyard, Freckleton.
19/05/1959: Sold to for £90 to John Coulton, Long Lane, Banks, Southport and re-registered at Preston (PN34).
1959-60: Rebuilt including new decks, new wheelhouse, new upper stem, and rewiring at Crossens Sluice plus a Fowler diesel 1:1 gearbox fitted. On completion the boat was moored at Southport and Hesketh Bank and fished with Peter Rimmer of Marshside.
08/08/1962: Sold to FW Coward, Fernyhalgh Lane, Fulwood, Preston for £500.
09/07/1969: Sold to Arthur Mervyn Filton, Burnley, worked in 1971 by FW Groden, of Fleetwood.
24/06/1971: Received assistance from the Lytham St Annes Lifeboat SARAH TOWNSEND PORRITT.
01/11/1973: Sold to Tom Gorew and Preston fishing registry closed.
27/07/1981: Returned to fishing under ownership of Michael Stephens of Rochdale.
27/07/1986: sold to K Lyne, Ashton under Lyne.
17/11/1988: Fishing registration removed under Merchant Shipping Act 1988.
1994: Rebuilt at Liverpool Marina by Jim Weir who sold her to new owners in Fiddlers Ferry.
12/1998: Parted moorings off Rock Ferry in the River Mersey and struck Rock Ferry Pier losing her lower stem, breaking the keel and capsizing.
01/1999: Aground, upside down and derelict alongside Tranmere Oil Terminal, eventually destroyed by wind and tide. Nothing remained by 2001.

Click to enlarge image

iv Wild Cherry FD429

iv Wild Cherry FD429

Changelog
29/10/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.
29/10/2016: Image added.