Monthly Archives: October 2016

M.T. Maythorn – P57

Technical

Official Number: 182741
Yard Number: 653
Completed: 1940
Gross Tonnage: 452
Net Tonnage: 144
Length: 158′ 3″
Breadth: 27′ 3″
Depth: 14 ft
Built: Cook Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Engine: 850ihp T.3-cyl by CD Holmes Ltd, Hull
Speed: 12 kts

History

29 Nov 1939: Launched as HMS BLACKTHORN for the Admiralty.
07/04/1940: Completed as a Tree Class minesweeper (P.No. T.100). 1 x 12 pdr; 2 x 0.5″ AA; 4 x LG (2 x twin).
1947: Sold to Vospers Ltd, Portsmouth. Renamed MAYTHORN. Registered at Portsmouth (P57).
1947: Re-engined – 16 cyl, 850ihp Werkspoor N.V., Amsterdam.
1949: Milford Steam Trawlers, Docks, Milford.
1955: Sold to A/S Bergens Fiskenselskap, Per Chr. Rahrs, Bergen. Renamed KLAN.
1963: Sold to Olav Østervold P/R Lepsøy, reg. Bergen. Renamed JAN OVE
1971: Broken up in Norway.

Click to enlarge images

HMS Blackthorn

HMS Blackthorn
Picture from the Internet

M.T. Maythorn P57

M.T. Maythorn P57
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
27/10/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.

iv Short Blue FD143

Technical

Net Tonnage: 10.87

History

1939: Built by John Crossfield & Co., of Conwy as CAPELLA for J Wright of Fleetwood.
1939: Completed.
19/01/1940: Fleetwood lifeboat landed the body of one of the two crewmen drowned off Blackpool whilst delivering the boat. The boat was subsequently salvaged and renamed SHORT BLUE.
30/10/1941: Registered at Fleetwood (FD143) by Robert Scott Hewett of London skippered by William Randles.
11/06/1946: Sold to George William Dodd of Fleetwood and Hartlepool.
06/04/1962: Sold to William Bradshaw Wilson of 5 Lincoln Avenue, Fleetwood.
17/04/1968: Sold to John Ferns of 21 Toxteth Grove, Dingle, Liverpool, being moored in Birkenhead.
22/12/1970: Fishing registration cancelled.

Click to enlarge images

iv Short Blue FD143

iv Short Blue FD143
Picture courtesy of Jay Cresswell

iv Short Blue FD143

iv Short Blue FD143
Picture courtesy of Brian Dodd

iv Short Blue FD143

iv Short Blue FD143
Picture courtesy of Brian Dodd

iv Short Blue FD143

iv Short Blue FD143
Picture courtesy of Brian Dodd

iv Short Blue FD143

iv Short Blue FD143
Picture courtesy of Brian Dodd

iv Short Blue FD143

iv Short Blue FD143
Picture courtesy of Brian Dodd

Changelog
27/10/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.

M.T. Cotsmuir (2) – FD277

Technical

Official Number: 378030
RSS No.A16730
Licence No: 10425
Completed: 1963
Gross Tonnage: 85.63
Net Tonnage: 27.35
L.O.A: 26.72 m
Length: 24.39 m
Breadth: 6.25 m
Depth: 2.71 m
Engine: 186kW/250hp oil engine by Bolnes B.V., Krimpen aan de Lek, Rotterdam

History

1963: Launched by Scheepswerf De Rietpol, Spaarndam.
1963: Completed by H. Zwart, IJmuiden for Leopold & Theodoor Neyts, Zeebruges as MERCURIUS. Registered at Zeebruges (Z527).
11.1972: Sold to Germany.
6.12.1972: Zeebruges registry closed. Registered at Bremerhaven as SANDRA (BX751).
1973: Re-engined with 224kW/300hp oil engine by Bolnes B.V., Krimpen aan de Lek, Rotterdam.
1981: Sold to David Atkinson, Fleetwood. Bremerhaven registry closed. Registered at Fleetwood as COTSMUIR (FD277).
1988: Sold to A. Williams & J. E. Heron, Kilkeel, Co. Down. Fishing out of Fleetwood.
16.04.1990: Arrived Amlwch, Anglesey in tow of motor trawler RESOLUTE (A127), picked up disabled with net fouling rudder and propeller. Cleared by divers but on the ebb fell away from wall and capsized.
By 1993: Sold to Sean M. Ryan, Fishguard, Pembrokeshire, (later Hermon, Glogue,Pembrokeshire).
199?: Converted for beam trawling. Fishing from Milford/Fishguard.
199?: On completion of rebuild as a beam trawler, remeasured 99gt.
10.03.1994: Registered at Fleetwood as MERCURIUS (FD277).
16.02.2009: At Milford to land and to sail the following day. One crewman, David Robert England (38), Morriston, Swansea stayed on board.
17.02.2009: Sailing postponed and later the Holyhead beam scalloper STEPHANIE (BCK152) arrived and secured alongside.. During the afternoon, England went ashore to the local pub. Late in the evening he returned on board and at 2330 was seen standing on the deck by the mate of STEPHANIE who spoke to him and ascertained he was all right. The mate then went ashore and spent a few hours in the nearby pub
before returning to his boat at 0230. As he crossed MERCURIUS, he found England asleep on the deck, next to the starboard accommodation door. He tried to rouse him, but England did not want to move so he decided to head for his own bunk.
18.02.2009: In the morning the body of a man was recovered from the dock.
20.02.2009: Pembrokeshire Coroner released the name of the man who had been identified as England.
2012: Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Milford (M277).
11.2016: Still fishing and landing at Milford; member of the South Western Fish Producers Organisation Ltd, Ivybridge, Devon.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Cotsmuir FD277

M.T. Cotsmuir FD277
Picture courtesy of The John Worthington Collection

M.T. Mercurius FD277

M.T. Mercurius FD277
Picture from the Internet

M.T. Mercurius FD277

M.T. Mercurius FD277
Picture courtesy of The Bill Williamson Collection

M.T. Mercurius FD277

M.T. Mercurius M277
Picture from the Internet

M.T. Sandra BX751

M.T. Sandra BX751
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
27/10/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.
09/12/2016: Picture added and text amended.
11/12/2016: Added information.
20/03/2017: Added picture and removed FMHT watermark from others.
31/03/2020: Added an image,

M.T. Bervie Braes – FD23

Technical

Official Number: A16679
Yard Number: B518
Gross Tonnage: 51
Net Tonnage: 21
Length: 22.43 m
Breadth: 5.97 m
Depth: 2.53 m
Engine: Lister Blackstone EVSM4, 264hp

History

29.03.1960: Launched by the Fairmile Construction Co. Ltd. Berwick-upon-Tweed for W. J. Fishing Co. Ltd, Aberdeen.
1960: Completed.
1976: Registered as BERVIE BRAES (PZ253), owner Anthony Stevens, Newlyn & Others.
1989: In Fleetwood registration. Owner J. Newsham, Fleetwood. Registered as BERVIE BRAES FD23
15.12.1997: Decommissioned & Scrapped.

Known Alterations
Whaleback added.
330hp Caterpillar Engine.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Bervie Braes FD23

M.T. Bervie Braes FD23

M.T. Bervie Braes FD23

M.T. Bervie Braes FD23
Picture courtesy of Neil Geddes Snr.

M.T. Bervie Braes FD23

M.T. Bervie Braes FD23
Picture courtesy of Frank Pook

M.T. Bervie Braes FD23

M.T. Bervie Braes FD23

Changelog
26/10/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.
28/02/2017: Added image.

M.T. Argo of Pembroke – M74

Technical

Official Number: 301710
Completed: 1962
Gross Tonnage: 302
Net Tonnage: 93
Length: 121.4 ft
Breadth: 26.9 ft
Depth: 14.6 ft
Built: James & Stone, Brightlingsea
Engine: 2 diesel electrics by Electrical Engineering Co. 540 bhp 11.5 kts

History

1962 : Launched by James & Stone, Brightlingsea for Pembroke Fishing Co, Docks, Milford (Fred Ingram, Cairo Fishing Co., Manager) as Argo of Pembroke (M74)
May 02 1962:Registered at Milford (M74).
January 1964: Fishing from Fleetwood with a Milford skipper (Sk James Jobson) & crew.
1966: Sold to Craig & Son Ltd, Aberdeen
September 1966: Sailing from Aberdeen.
1974: Sold to P. K. Stovlbaek Partrederi, Denmark. Renamed SILLERSLEV.Later owned by Kaj R. Jensen Partrederi, and registered at Thyboron, Denmark.
1981 :Sold to Sisimut Trawl ApS, and renamed SARFAQ, and registered at Holsteinsborg/Sisimut, Greenland (Danish flag).
1988: Refitted with new engines
1993: Arrived in New Zealand
1994: she was shrimping outside the 200-mile exclusive economic zone, in joint ventures with independent companies, but was then laid up for nearly a year at Lyttelton.
1995: Her owners were listed as Island Fisheries Ltd. The shrimping gear was replaced with hoki trawling gear.
1996: Listed as owned by New Zeafish Ltd.
August 28th 2001 She was towed thirty-seven miles from Wellington by the tug KUPE and was scuttled in the early evening in 41048’S.,175000’E., about fifteen miles S.S.W. from Cape Palliser in 1,700 metres of water.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Argo of Pembroke M74

M.T. Argo of Pembroke M74
Picture courtesy of Frank Pook

M.T. Argo of Pembroke M74

M.T. Argo of Pembroke M74
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

M.T. Argo of Pembroke M74

M.T. Argo of Pembroke M74
Picture courtesy of The David Buckley Collection

M.T. Argo of Pembroke M74

M.T. Argo of Pembroke M74
Picture courtesy of Frank Pook

M.T. Argo of Pembroke M74

M.T. Argo of Pembroke M74
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

M.T. Argo of Pembroke M74

M.T. Sillerslev
Picture courtesy of Frans Schaap

M.T. Sarfaq

M.T. Sarfaq

Changelog
26/10/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.
10/02/2017: Image added.
19/08/2017: Removed FMHT watermark and added an image.

M.T. Boston Halifax – GY321

Technical

Official Number: 364903
Yard Number: 584
Completed: 1975
Gross Tonnage: 387
Length: 124 ft
Built: Goole Shipbuilding and Repairing Ltd, Goole

History

1975: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding and Repairing Ltd, Goole, (Yd. No. 584) for Boston Deep Sea Fisheries Ltd, Grimsby, as BOSTON HALIFAX. Registered at Grimsby (GY321).
1975: Fished the West Coast grounds from Fleetwood. Fitted for pair trawling. Returned to Grimsby and fished the Arctic grounds from there.
1978: Transferred to Lowestoft.
1985: Registered as LO339.
1986: Sold to Danish owners as DROT.
1990: Returned to UK ownership (George Craig & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen) and renamed GRAMPIAN DEE and converted to a safety vessel.
2007: Sold ?
2009: As FENDERCARE INDEPENDENCE LO336, Fendercare Marine Ltd, Norwich under Sierra Leone flag.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Boston Halifax LO339

M.T. Boston Halifax GY321
Picture courtesy of The Frank Pook Collection

M.T. Boston Halifax GY321

M.T. Boston Halifax LO339
Picture courtesy of The Frank Pook Collection

M.T. Boston Halifax LO339

M.T. Boston Halifax LO339
Picture courtesy of The Frank Pook Collection

M.V. Grampian Dee

M.V. Grampian Dee
Picture from the Internet

M.T. Drot E130

M.T. Drot E130
Picture courtesy of The Frank Pook Collection

M.V. Fendercare Independence

M.V. Fendercare Independence
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

Changelog
25/10/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.
15/05/2017: Added image and removed FMHT watermarks.
31/12/2018: Added two images.

M.T. Loch Lein – LT334

Technical

Official Number: 400143
Gross Tonnage: 103
Length: 80 ft
Built: Lernwerder, Germany, 1948
Owner: Claridge Trawlers

History

1960: From Dublin to Fleetwood as LOCH LEIN D411.
1963: Bought by Walter (Fly) Holmes.
1965: Bought by Walter Holmes Jnr and converted to stern trawling. The wheelhouse was moved to the bow. Moved to New Zealand and registered at Auckland in November of 1965.
1967: Re-engined.
1976: Vessel converted as a barge towing tug by Rope Shipping Co Ltd.
1988: Re-engined with a V16 GM 2 stroke, replacing her Lister Blackstone. That and other tip hamper issues caused the vessel to become unstable. In moderately rough conditions and with 5 men on board, including a fisheries inspector, the vessel capsized and sank. The men escaped in a liferaft and drifted 200 miles in 5 days before their last flare was spotted by a naval helicopter crew.

LOCH LEIN goes to New Zealand, Read the full story here

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Loch Lein LT334

M.T. Loch Lein LT334
Picture from the Internet

M.T. Loch Lein LT334

M.T. Loch Lein LT334
Picture courtesy of The Rod Fraser Collection

M.T. Loch Lein LT334

M.T. Loch Lein LT334
Picture courtesy of The John Bonner Collection

M.T. Loch Lein LT334

M.T. Loch Lein LT334
Picture courtesy of The Rod Fraser Collection

M.T. Loch Lein LT334

M.T. Loch Lein LT334
Picture courtesy of The Rod Fraser Collection

Walter "Fly" Holmes

Picture courtesy of The Rod Fraser Collection

Changelog
25/10/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.
10/09/2020: Added an image.

M.T. Loch Laoi – FD39

Technical and historical information needed about this vessel. Please contact info@fleetwood-fishing-industry.co.uk

Technical

Official Number: 185303
Built: Buckie in 1955
Gross Tonnage: 30
Net Tonnage: 13
Length: 46′ 9″
Engine: 114 hp
Owner: Thomas Kirk of Fleetwood

History

1965: Owner was Thomas Kirk of Fleetwood.
1970: Owner was Richard Donnan of Whitehaven.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Loch Laoi LT332

M.T. Loch Laoi LT332
Picture from the Internet

M.T. Loch Laoi LT332

M.T. Loch Laoi LT332
Picture courtesy of Fred Baker

M.T. Loch Laoi LT332

M.T. Loch Laoi LT332

Changelog
24/10/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.
21/10/2020: Added an image.

M.T. Celita – LT236

Technical

Official Number: 166686
Gross Tonnage: 78
Net Tonnage: 34
Length: 75′ 1″
Breadth: 20′ 6″
Depth: 7′ 6″
Engine: 225bhp

History

1951: Owners Colne Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft.
1951: Owners Clan S.F. Co Ltd, Lowestoft.
1955?: Left Fleetwood.
19??: Transferred to Oil-Rig Support Working
1970: Scrapped at Oulton Broad.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Celita LT246

M.T. Celita LT246
Picture courtesy of The Phil Rogers Collection

M.T. Celita LT236

M.T. Celita LT236
Picture from the Internet

M.T. Celita LT236

M.T. Celita LT236
Picture from the Internet

M.T. Celita LT236

M.T. Celita LT236
Picture courtesy of The Robert Durrant Collection

Changelog
23/10/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.
19/08/2020: Added an image.

M.T. Rewga – LT234

Technical

Official Number: 163002
Yard Number: 256
Completed: 1937
Gross Tonnage: 81
Net Tonnage: 34
Length: 75 ft
Breadth: 20′ 6″
Depth: 9′ 9″
Built: 1937 by Richards Shipyard, Lowestoft
Engine: Ruston 5cyl 150hp

History

1937: Completed by Richards Ironworks Ltd for L.T. (1934) Ltd, (W. F. Cockrell, manager).
1947: Sold to Gordon Claridge.
1949: Transferred to Colne Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft, Suffolk.
1955: Lengthened to 82 ft. Gross Tonnage still 81 and re-engined with 5-cyl 220hp Ruston.
Early 1960’s: Extensively modernised.
Late 1960’s: Employed as a SSV.
05.12.1967: In an onboard accident, Harry Fryer received fatal injuries.
1971: Sold for scrapping, delivered to ship breakers yard Oulton Broad 6/10/71.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Rewga LT234

M.T. Rewga LT234
Picture courtesy of Fred Baker

M.T. Rewga LT234

M.T. Rewga LT234
Picture from the Internet

M.T. Rewga LT234

M.T. Rewga LT234
Picture courtesy of Robert Durrant

Changelog
23/10/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.
13/11/2017: Removed FMHT watermark and added an image.