Additional information courtesy of David Slinger
Official Number: 185296
Yard Number: 1394
Gross Tonnage: 370
Net Tonnage: 126
Length: 128.5 ft
Breadth: 26.7 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Engine: 2 stroke 5-cyl oil engine 700bhp by British Polar Engines Ltd, Govan, Glasgow
06.03.1954: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1394) for Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood as FLEETWOOD LADY.
07.09.1954 Registered at Fleetwood.
30.11.1955: Company re-styled Boston Deep Sea Fisheries Ltd, Fleetwood.
07.03.1956: Sailed Fleetwood on morning tide for Muckle Flugga fishing grounds (Sk. Reginald Wright); fifteen crew. During afternoon anchored in Ramsey Bay to allow three Manx crewmen, the Lyall brothers and Allan Bradford, to visit families. At 4.00 pm. seven crew members left in the ship’s boat for Ramsey. At 7.00 pm four crew returned in ship’s boat leaving Sk. Reginald Wright, Allan Bradford and Eric Lyall ashore. At about 1030 pm. a small 13ft boat with six occupants left Ramsey to return onboard. At some time later the boat capsized and all occupants were thrown into the water. Alarm was raised after a body was seen floating just offshore and Ramsey lifeboat THOMAS CORBETT (Cox Cottier) was launched to search the area. Only bottom boards, identified as from the boat, were found. All bodies were recovered from the shoreline except that of Sk. Wright which was not found until two weeks later.
8.3.1956: Sailed Ramsey Bay for Fleetwood (Mate Ronald Slapp).
22.04.1961: At Fleetwood, having left lock for fishing grounds (Sk. Ken Beavers), in collision with trawler IRVANA (FD152) (Sk. E. Harris) which was ahead and had grounded on Tiger’s Tail and was backing off. Sustained damage to gallows, etc and returned to dock.
25.04.1961: Following repairs sailed for fishing grounds.
21.02.1962: Fleetwood registry closed.
01.03.1962: Sold to Acadia Fisheries Ltd, Mulgrave, Nova Scotia, Canada.
03.1962: Registered at St John’s, Newfoundland as ACADIA KINGFISHER.
21.10.1968: In heavy weather in Gulf of St. Lawrence started to take in water and abandoned by crew to other company trawler.
22.10.1968: Company trawler connected and commenced tow but started to settle and foundered in approx position 48.50N 62.35W.
1968: St John’s registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
12/09/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.