Author Archives: Roger Jones

iv Peggy FD222

Additional information courtesy of David Slinger
Technical and historical information needed about this vessel. Please contact info@fleetwood-fishing-industry.co.uk

Technical

Part IV registered
Gross Tonnage: 13.61

History

27.10.1943: Registered at Fleetwood as PEGGY (FD222). Owner W. Leadbetter, Fleetwood.
12.1959: In fog, stranded near Fleetwood Pier about 40 yrs from the Promenade. Sk. John Holden and Mate Albert Mair tried to keep her afloat but were unsuccessful and picked up by Fleetwood lifeboat, ANN LETITIA RUSSELL (Cox. Albert Wright). Subsequently salvage undertaken and engine, mast, ballast and some fishing gear recovered. Boat not insured and a fund to help the owner set-up by business men Norman, Frank, Leonard and Lawrence Horsley.

Click to enlarge images

iv Peggy FD222

iv Peggy FD222
Picture courtesy of The David Wall Collection

Changelog
12/08/2018: Page published.

M.T. Boston Mosquito LT373

Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham, David Slinger, Andy Hall and Shetland Museum

Technical

Official Number: 185731
Yard Number: 324
Completed: 1943
Gross Tonnage: 117.32
Net Tonnage: 66.25
Length: 92.3 ft (loa)
Breadth: 22.3 ft
Depth: 22.3 x 9.8 feet
Engine: 4-cyl 240bhp HR4 oil engine by Crossley Brothers Ltd, Openshaw, Manchester
Construction: Wooden built MFV

History

27.11.1942: Ordered by The Admiralty from Richards Ironworks Ltd, Lowestoft (Yd.No.324).
15.11.1943: Launched by East Anglian Constructors Ltd, Oulton Broad.
3.1944: Completed by Richards Ironworks Ltd as MFV1504 (1x20mmAA).
11.12.1946: Sold out of service.
1948: Sold to George William Brand Leslie, Sumburgh, Shetland.
1.11.1948: Registered at Lerwick (Part IV) as BETTY LESLIE (LK497), 77g. 77n. George W. B. Leslie designated managing owner. Modified at St. Monans, Fife to fish a Norwegian purse net but not designed for this method and trials not a success (first UK seiner).
1951: Fished great lines as far as Faroes and Iceland.
12.4.1952: Registered at Lerwick (Part I) as BETTY LESLIE O.N.185731 (LK497) by George W. B. Leslie, Cults, Aberdeenshire. George W. B. Leslie designated managing owner. Continued to fish great lines as far as Faroes and Iceland and drift netting in North Sea.
4.1954: Sponsored by WFA, shark fishing off Shetland. Fitted out at Lerwick.
6.4.1954: Sailed Lerwick to pursue sharks.
3.5.1954: At Aberdeen landed mostly from the North Rona grounds, 80 porbeagle sharks, 546 stone sold for 14/6d per stone to a syndicate.
Late 1950s: Engaged in side trawling.
9.8.1960: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fisheries Ltd, Fleetwood.
9.11.1960: Lerwick registry closed.
1960: Re-engined with 5-cyl 375bhp HR5 Crossley (engine made 1951) by Crossley Brothers Ltd, Openshaw, Manchester.
1.1961: Completed conversion to side fishing trawler by Richards Ironworks Ltd, Lowestoft. Remeasured following survey 114.51g 47.86n 96.7 (loa) x 22.3 x 10.9 (summer draught) feet.
26.1.1961: On completion of modernisation and conversion to a side trawler. Registered at Lowestoft as BOSTON MOSQUITO (LT373). Basil Arthur Parkes, Hessle designated manager.
Early 1960s: Seasonal trawling out of Fleetwood.
14.10.1962: Alongside in Wyre Dock. 2nd Eng John Riddock Young discovered fire in wheelhouse. Sounded alarm on ship’s siren. Attended by PC Edward Macdonald BTC Police and PC Norman Pott, Lancashire Constabulary who managed, despite dense smoke, to contain the fire until Fleetwood Fire Brigade arrived and fire was extinguished. Considerable damage to wheelhouse, including radar, radio and navigational instruments.
16.11.1965: In heavy weather stranded at Scar Point, North Shields. Refloated by tug BAMBURGH (119grt/1956) and taken into River Tyne.
26.11.1965: Off the Tyne suffered ingress of water and sent out distress. Steam trawler ROSS CANOPUS (979grt/1946) responded and escorted into River Tyne.
1.4.1966: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. Basil Arthur Parkes designated manager.
26.8.1966: Sale registered.
27.8.1966: Sold to Looker Fishing Co Ltd , Aberdeen. Basil Arthur Parkes designated manager.
25.11.1966: Sale registered.
1967: Employed on offshore platform standby/safety duties.
14.6.1967: Sold to Looker Fishing Co Ltd (32/64), Aberdeen and Putford Enterprises Ltd (32/64), Paignton.
12.9.1967: Sale registered.
4.7.1972: Sold to David James Sadd, Norwich.
17.10.1972: Lowestoft (Part IV registry closed).
28.8.1972: Sold to Mrs Lillian Ann Rodgers, Norwich (JR Marine Ltd, Norwich).
1.1973: Unofficially renamed MOSQUITO.
23.1.1973: Registered at Lowestoft as APRIL DIAMOND. JR Marine Ltd, Norwich designated managers. Lowestoft registry closed in error “ Sold to Greek interests”, but expunged.
18.8.1973: Arrested at Scheveningen, Netherlands having been caught with illegal immigrants onboard for passage to UK; Skipper and Mate detained. Vessel held by Netherlands authorities as surety to cover cost of flying 26 Asians home (c£6,000).
1975: Sunk at berth in Scheveningen, later craned from water in sections, engine and other useable parts removed and sold.
1979: Ship seized to recover court costs, hulk sold for breaking up.
20.6.1990: Lowestoft registration certificates finally cancelled.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Betty Leslie LK497

mfv Betty Leslie LK497
Picture from the Internet

M.T. Betty Leslie LK497

M.T. Betty Leslie LK497
Shark fishing picture from the Internet

M.T. Boston Mosquito LT373

M.T. Boston Mosquito LT373
Picture from the Internet

M.T. Boston Mosquito LT373

M.T. Boston Mosquito LT373
Picture from the Internet

M.T. Boston Mosquito LT373

M.T. Boston Mosquito LT373
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
04/08/2018: Page published.
12/08/2018: Information updated.
17/08/2018: Information updated.
19/08/2018: Image added.

F.V. Pisces FD22

Technical and historical information needed about this vessel. Please contact info@fleetwood-fishing-industry.co.uk

Click to enlarge images

F.V. Pisces FD22

F.V. Pisces FD22
Picture courtesy of The John Worthington Collection

Changelog
14/07/2018: Page published.

F.V. Boy Christopher FD131

Technical and historical information needed about this vessel. Please contact info@fleetwood-fishing-industry.co.uk

History

1963: Built by Chantiers de Cornouaille, Douarnenez (of wood) as the vivier crabber KERISTUM AU2540
1988: Sold to Guernsey.
1988: Re-reg KERISTUM GU254 by Guernsey skipper Peter Priou who regularly fished off west Scotland from Ullapool.
1994: Bought by Rick Mitchelmore of Dartmouth and re-reg DH181.
2002: Bought by Andrew Cowie. Registered at Buckie (BCK77)
2007/2008: Sold to Martyn Gontier and registered as SY76.
2018: Renamed BOY CHRISTOPHER and registered at Fleetwood (FD131).

Click to enlarge images

F.V. Boy Christopher FD131

F.V. Boy Christopher FD131
Picture courtesy of The John Worthington Collection

Changelog
14/07/ 2018: Page published.
27/07/2018: Information added.

M.T. Craigievar A304

Technical

Official Number: ?
Yard Number: B510
Completed: 1959
Gross Tonnage: 50
Net Tonnage: 50
Length: 22.19 m
Breadth: 5.97 m
Depth: 2.53 m
Engine: Lister Blackstone EVSM4, 264 bhp
Built: 1959 by Fairmile Construction Co. Ltd, Berwick-upon-Tweed

History

1959: Built for Bon Accord Mutual Ship Stores Ltd, Aberdeen. Registered as CRAIGIEVAR A304
1960: Stranded at Fast Castle, near St Abb’s Head, in a storm. Refloated at high water, with little damage.
1970: Owners John N. Ward & Son Ltd, Fleetwood.
1976: Owners Charles J. S. Simmons, Scarborough & Others.
1983: Owner Jack Robinson, Hull.
19??: Ceased fishing and sold to Portsmouth owners for conversion as a diving support vessel.

Known alteration
Whaleback which was later removed and a new wheelhouse.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Craigievar A304

M.T. Craigievar A304
Picture courtesy of The Graham Blair Collection

M.T. Craigievar A304

M.T. Craigievar A304
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
2018: Page published again due to site problems.

mfv Ailsea FD174

Technical and historical information needed about this vessel. Please contact info@fleetwood-fishing-industry.co.uk

Technical

Official Number: 187868
Gross Tonnage: 23
Net Tonnage: 10
Length: 45 ft
Engine: 95 hp Gardner Diesel
Built: 1959 by Nobles of Fraserburgh
Owner: Joe Parkinson, Pim Grace and Duckie Burgess

History

1959: Built by Nobles of Fraserburgh, for Grace, Burgess and Parkinson. Sailed from the Jubilee Quay Fleetwood and managed by J.N. Ward.
197?: Owner as Knud E.C. Viji, Fleetwood.
Late ’70s early ’80s: Sold to Tom Marginson and Charlie Ellis, Fleetwood.
1984: In ownership of Jamie Russell? Registered at Campbeltown (CN321).
1992: Sold to Caernarvon and ceased fishing 1992.

Click to enlarge images

mfv Ailsea FD174

mfv Ailsea FD174
Picture from the Internet

mfv Ailsea CN321

mfv Ailsea CN321
Picture from the Internet

mfv Ailsea FD174

mfv Ailsea FD174
Picture courtesy of The Eric Corkish Colection

Changelog
19/01/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks and page re-published.

mfv Alant FD170

Historical information needed about this vessel. Please contact info@fleetwood-fishing-industry.co.uk

Technical

Official Number: 162081
Gross Tonnage: 38
Net Tonnage: 19
Length: 53′ 5″
Breadth: 16′ 2″
Depth: 7′ 5″
Built: 1950, Buckie
Engine: Gardner, 115bhp
Owner: Thinnesen Family

History

1950: Built at Buckie for Thinnesens of Grimsby.
1954: Owners W. Dixon and H. Thinnesen, Whitehaven.
1970: Owner H. Thinnesen Ltd, Grimsby. Registered as ALANT WA12
1985: Owner in this year was Charlie Bird, Fleetwood. Registered as ALANT FD170. Skipper at this time was Cyril Clark.
1989’s: Fishing out of Shields.
Undated: Decommissioned at North Shields and turned into a pleasure /diving boat
Undated: Renamed the “Brendalison” ??

Click to enlarge images

mfv Alant FD170

mfv Alant FD170
Picture courtesy of The Dean Ledge Harrison Collection

mfv Alant FD170

mfv Alant FD170
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
05/09/2017: Page published.