Part IV registered.
RSS number: A10438
Yard Number: B509
Gross/Net Tonnage: 49.78g 49.78n
LOA: 22.19 m (72.8 ft)
Length: 20.73 m (68.01 ft)
Breadth: 5.97 m (19.59)
Depth: 2.53 m (8.30 ft)
Engine: 4-cyl 264bhp/197kW Lister Blackstone EVS4M oil engine by Lister Blackstone Marine Ltd, Dursley, Gloucestershire – On trials 10.55 knts 3.77 tons SBP @ MCR
Owners: John N. Ward & Son Ltd, Fleetwood
14.06.1959: Completed by Fairmile Construction Co Ltd, Cobham, Surrey at Berwick Shipyard, Berwick on Tweed (Yd.No.509) for Bonaccord Mutual Ship Stores Ltd (64/64), Torry, Aberdeen as CRAIGMILLAR.
15.06.1959: Registered at Aberdeen (A303).
08.07.1959: Shares (16/64) mortgaged to secure a White Fish Authority, London loan for the sum of £19,818 (25% of value) with interest at 6% variable (A).
25.06.1959: Registry of vessel transferred to Part B of Part IV of Sea Fishing Boats (Scotland) Act, 1886 (A303).
22.09.1959: Shares (16/64) mortgaged to Bank of Scotland, Edinburgh (B).
08.02.1960: Shares (16/64) mortgaged to secure a White Fish Authority, London loan for the sum of £497 with interest at 6% variable (C). 20.05.1965: Sold by order of the mortgagee under mortgage (A) to John N. Ward & Son Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood (transaction confers a clear title).
20.05.1965: Shares (16/64) mortgaged to secure a White Fish Authority, London loan of £17,775 with interest at 6% variable (D).
24.05.1965: First skipper – John B. Jackson.
13.10.1970: In Morecambe Bay (Sk. Richard Farrer). With LONDON TOWN (LO70) (Sk. Charles Pook) responded to distress call from Fleetwood motor trawler STEPHIL (A41) (Sk. Ray Barkworth) disabled with steering gear problem and with weather deteriorating requested to be taken in tow. Closed and with LONDON TOWN standing by, connected and headed for Fleetwood, but in increasing wind and sea state, tow parted several times. Being set in towards Walney Island, decision made to abandon, liferaft launched, crew embarked and with some difficulty all picked up. Four crew landed at Fleetwood. STEPHIL subsequently fetching up in the shoal waters off Walney Island.
11.11.1976: Sold to Alistair Gavin Hamilton, Woodchurch, Ashford, Kent with outstanding WFA loan remaining (D). Continued to fish out of Fleetwood.
20.10.1978: Sk. Gilbert Latona, Prestwick appointed and vessel moved to Ayr.
29.11.1978: Amendment of overall length of hull as per advice dated 28.11.1978 – 21,34m.
19.12.1978: Aberdeen registry closed.
12.1978: Registered at Ballantrae as CRAIGMILLAR (BA303).
By 31.07.1984: Sold to David J. Holt, Fleetwood.
By 31.07.1986: Sold to John Crainford, Fleetwood & Thomas J. Groden, Preston.
Post 1989: Sold to David C. Rainford, Little Singleton, Blackpool.
By 11.1997: Sold to Chris Neves, Fleetwood.
02.1998: Decommissioned and scrapped.
Notes: 19??: Whaleback fitted. Deckhouse rebuilt with new wheelhouse.
Broke the ports record for a pocket trawler grossing £3,300 in a single trip.
Click to enlarge images
18/11/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.
10/06/2017: Information updated. Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
11/06/2017: Images added and information updated.
18/02/2019: Added an image.