Additional information courtesy of Jan Harteveld, Barry Banham, Mike Thompson, Bob Durrant and Bob Mitchell
Official Number: 181277
Yard Number: 766
Gross Tonnage: 338.51
Net Tonnage: 116.23
Length: 136′ 8″
Breadth: 25′ 6″
Depth: 12′ 6″
Engine: 585bhp 8-cyl 4SA by Ruston & Hornsby Ltd, Lincoln
Built: Cook Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Speed: 10.5 knots
19.03.1946: Launched by Cooke, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.766) for Thornton Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood as THORINA.
02.10.1946: Registered at Hull (H318).
02.10.1946: Leslie James Marr appointed manager.
05.1947: Thornton Trawlers Ltd in voluntary liquidation.
06.1947: Sold by the Liquidator to N.V. Visscherijonderneming de VEM, IJmuiden, Holland (MoT ref; G.S.P.7403 dated 13.05.1947).
06.06.1947: Hull registry closed. Registered at IJmuiden (IJM33).
1958: Re-engined with a 6-cyl (720bhp) 4SA oil engine by WUMAG-Krupp, Görlitz, engine made 1944 (U-boat design).
12.01.1960: Sold to Visserijonderneming v/h J.C. Pronk, IJmuiden. Laid up at IJmuiden.
1964: Sold in an en bloc deal with motor trawler ALLAN WATER (IJM34) to Claridge Trawlers Ltd, Lowestoft (J. Leggett manager).
21.08.964: Arrived Lowestoft from IJmuiden with ALLAN WATER in tow (engine disabled due to fractured camshaft housing).
28.09.1964: Registered at Lowestoft (LT402).
04.05.1965: Registered at Lowestoft as ST. GEORGES (LT402) (Sanctioned 02.1965). First registered skipper R. G. Westgate.
17.10.1967: Surveyed after re-engined with a 6-cyl 1100bhp (derated to 954bhp) 4SA oil engine by Ruston & Hornsby Ltd, Lincoln.
09.1980: Chartered to Eon Productions, Pinewood Studios, London for James Bond film “For Your Eyes Only” (released 24.06.1981). Disguised as a Maltese trawler and assumed Valletta registration (VA402) for the purpose of the film and fictitiously mined and sunk in the Ionian Sea. On completion of filming returned to Lowestoft and fishing.
17.10.1983: Whilst fishing in heavy weather started to take in water and on return to Lowestoft surveyed and declared a constructive total loss (CTL).
05.1984: Sold to Henderson & Morez Ltd, Gravesend for breaking up.
07.06.1984: Sailed Lowestoft for London River in tow of tug PATMORE (69grt/1958).
23.07.1984: Lowestoft registry closed, vessel broken up.
Click to enlarge images
16/11/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.
17/01/2017: Added artwork.