M.T. Rotha – LT208


Official Number: 162996
Yard Number: 255
Completed: 1937
Gross Tonnage: 81
Net Tonnage: 34
Length: 75.6 ft
Breadth: 20′ 7″
Depth: 7.5 ft
Engine: 5 cyl 4SA 150 bhp Ruston & Hornsby, Lincoln.
Built: Richards Ironworks Ltd, Lowestoft in 1937


1934: Completed by Richards Ironworks Ltd, Lowestoft (Yd.No.255) for L.T.(1934) Ltd, Lowestoft as ROTHA.
07.06.1937: Registered at Lowestoft (LT208). William F. Cockerill Jnr appointed manager.
24.02.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a danlayer. (1-6pdr)(Hire rate £80.12.10d/month).
8.1940: Deployed as an auxiliary patrol drifter.
1941: Renamed ELFIN as base ship.
1946: Reverted to ROTHA (LT208). Paid off.
1946: Returned to owner at Lowestoft.
22.01.1947: Sold to Gordon David Claridge, Wheathamsted, Hertfordshire. Gordon David Claridge designated managing owner.
1948: Sold to Colne Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft. Gordon David Claridge appointed manager.
18.01.1949: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
1955: Lengthened to 82.0 feet remeasured 84grt.
1955: Re-engined with 5-cyl 220bhp oil engine by Ruston & Hornsby Ltd, Lincoln.
1955: Chartered by Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries & Food (MAFF) along with GULA (LT179) to undertake trials with Spanish pareja trawl (pair trawling).
1940s – early 1950s: Seasonal white fish trawling from Fleetwood
05.1958: Mortgage (A) discharged.
13.05.1958: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (B).
1971: Company re-styled The Colne Shipping Co Ltd. Gordon David Claridge appointed manager.
1971: At Brooke Marine Ltd, Oulton Broad, whaleback and new wheelhouse and deck house fitted.
Early 1970s: Seasonal whitefish trawling from Fleetwood.
1976: Converted to offshore platform standby safety vessel.
1976: Employed on offshore platform standby safety duties. Fishing registry closed.
1986: Mortgage (B) discharged.
06.1986: Sold en bloc with GULA, 84grt/1936 (ex LT179) and WILLA, 84grt/1935, offshore platform support vessels, to G. T. Services, Barking for breaking up.
04.07.1986: Sailed Lowestoft for River Thames.
29.10.1986: Lowestoft registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

M.T. Rotha LT208

M.T. Rotha LT208
Picture courtesy of Peter Green

M.T. Rotha LT208

M.T. Rotha LT208

M.T. Rotha LT208

M.T. Rotha LT208
Picture courtesy of Fred Baker

M.T. Rotha LT208

M.T. Rotha LT208
Picture courtesy of The Keith Mayall Collection

SSV Rotha

SSV Rotha
Picture courtesy of Trevor Snowling

14/11/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.
15/11/2016: Information updated.
21/10/2018: Added an image and removed FMHT watermark.