Official Number: 359885
Gross Tonnage: 47
Net Tonnage: 20
Length: 55 ft
Built: Denmark, 1949
Owner: Arcona Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby, later by Arbay Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby.
Sometime in the 1970’s Egon Thomsen brought her to Fleetwood from Denmark.
1995: Decommissioned and dry landed on Fleetwood Freeport as an attraction.
Undated: Removed from Fleetwood Freeport. No record of what has happend to her since.
Notes courtesy of Steven Thomsen
Countless thousands of visitors to Fleetwood’s Freeport Shopping complex, on the edge of Wyre Dock, have walked past Arcona Bay. How many of them would have spared a thought for the vessel and what she represented to those that once owned and worked her?
To most people she would be just another exhibit amongst the many that are on show there. To Egon Thomsen and his son Steven, however, she was much more than that, she was their livelihood.Arcona Bay
Egon Thomsen bought Arcona Bay, in the early part of the 1970s, in Denmark, bringing her to the UK. Steven is of the opinion that she was used as a shark fishing boat as a supply of large hooks was found aboard. Utilized as a seine netter until the early 80s Egon Thomsen worked the Norwegian sector, venturing as far afield as the Shetland Isles. This involved a 400 mile, 3 day steam there, and the same back to the Humber. Steven recalls one trip in particular when they landed 30 x 10st kits for a 30 day trip. He picked up 15 pence that trip and then only because he received a tax rebate.
They did, however, have more rewarding trips from the same grounds. They broke the port record on more than one occasion by landing 350 kit for 10 days. Occasionally fuel would run low and they would have to anchor and wait for another seiner to come past so that they could borrow enough fuel to make the Humber.
Egon Thomsen was a big man of some 19 stone. When he had Arcona Bay refitted, the wheelhouse was tailored to his frame and was made from fibreglass by Ernie Leggett, a Grimsby shipwright. During the refit she was fitted with a new Gardner engine and the wooden mast was replaced by an aluminium one. As they un-stepped the old mast coins, an old seafaring tradition to bring luck, were found underneath. At a later date the cabin and galley were refurbished
Arcona Bay is fondly remembered as a very good sea ship that carried her crew through some fierce storms, “She had to be” states Steven, “my dad used to fish through most of them. I shed quite a few tears and blood on that ship over the years but I have some good memories too.
It could be in the middle of winter and we would be on deck, wet and freezing and look up at the wheelhouse where the windows would be steamed up. My dad would open one of the windows and shout “Never mind son, the first 20 years are the worst” and quickly shut the window again.”
Steven remembers sleeping in a starboard bunk. Hove to in bad weather he was just climbing into it when Arcona Bay dropped off into a short sea and heeled over to port. Steven was thrown across the cabin and landed backside first onto the newly fitted oil stove. His crewmates were of the opinion that his scream of pain could have been heard in Lowestoft, some 300 miles off.
“Sometimes we would fish through the night and have our evening meal in the morning but that only happened when we fished the Shetlands” Steven recalls, “In fact, I can’t remember any other Grimsby boat fishing up there since the war and I have never been up there with any other skipper. It made local headlines the first time that we went.”
Egon took pride in the appearance of his vessel and the crew were kept constantly busy cleaning and painting her.
Click to enlarge images
26/11/2008: Page published. 7 updates since then.
24/04/2016: Restored image lost in site move.
Fleetwood Trawler – Pygmalion FD132
Official Number: 182178
Gross Tonnage: 35grt / 24nrt
Built: Brixham, 1947
Owner: J.A.S Wright, Fleetwood
1947: Registered as Pygmalion BM27
19??: Sold to James W Wright of Fleetwood, registered as FD132
26.5.1966: Sank 9 miles east of the Point of Ayre
Loss of the Pygmalion
The motor fishing vessel Pygmalion was trawling to the east of the Point of Ayre on the 26th of may 1964.
Her skipper was John Cowell who was sleeping in his bunk at the bottom of the cabin ladder at the time. Around 8:30 am a Calor gas bottle fell from the galley down into the cabin and exploded, badly injuring one of the crew, and fire quickly engulfed the vessel.
Mr Patterson and Mr Sumner thought that Mr. Cowell had no chance of survival with such a blast and launched the self-inflating liferaft which didn’t inflate properly.
Meanwhile down the cabin Mr Cowell managed to get out of his bunk and ran through the flames into the engine room the other side of the cabin ladders, burning his face arms and legs in the process.
He then ran out on deck and jumped into the water, at which point he lost all memory due to the shock of the salt water on his burns, when he came in and out of conciousness he recalls the crew about to let the flares go and kept telling them to wait till darkness. they were drifting for 16 hours that day Before before the rockets were eventually fired and sighted.
The Whitehaven trawler LORRAINE was outbound for the fishing grounds and she spotted the distress rockets and changed course towards the liferaft.
Meanwhile the signals had also been seen from the Maughold Lighthouse and the Ramsey lifeboat, ANNIE ROWLAND ISABELLA FORREST, was launched.
LORRAINE, under the command of Peter Haroldson, reached the liferaft, took the three crewmen aboard and set his course for Ramsey where an ambulance was waiting.
The crew of Pygmalion were:
Richard Billington Sumner, Deckhand
Les Patterson, deckhand
John Cowell, skipper
All were from Fleetwood
Map – Source Dictionary of Shipwrecks off the Isle of Man by Adrian Corkhill c2001
Official Number: 300420
Yard Number: 936
Gross Tonnage: 789
Net Tonnage: 288
Length: 185 ft
Breadth: 33′ 6″
Depth: 16′ 9″
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell
Engine: CD Holmes developing 1700bhp
Speed: 15 knots
Owner: City Steam Fishing Co Ltd Hull
1958: Built for City Steam Fishing Co Ltd Hull
03/03/1965: Sold to J Marr & Son, Hull.
24/10/1977: Converted to oil rig work.
13/12/1978: Transferred to Fleetwood.
1991: Sold to Cam Shipping Co Ltd, Aberdeen and renamed CAM VICEROY.
01/11/1993: Sold for scrap to Caravel Maritime Ltd.
15/11/1993: Left Grimsby for Rainham, Kent for breaking.
21/11/2008: Page published. 9 updates since then.
14/04/2016: Restored images lost in site move.
Official Number: 307549
Yard Number: 1501
IMO Number: 6515801
Gross Tonnage: 457
Net Tonnage: 183
Length: 120 ft
Breadth: 30 ft
Depth: 19.5 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: 4 stroke Vee 12-cyl oil engine by Davey, Paxman & Co Ltd, Colchester – CP propeller
1965: Completed by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby, (Yd No. 1501) for Ross Trawlers Ltd, Grimsby, as ROSS FORTUNE.
15.10.1965: Registered at Grimsby (GY1365).
11.12.1968: Alteration of particulars: Re-engined (8 cyl diesel by English Electric Co Ltd, Newton-Le-Willows 1052 BHP / 320 gt / 103 net / 12 knots).
06.03.1970: Sold to Wyre Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood.
06.07.1970: Grimsby registry closed.
07.07.1970: Registered at Fleetwood (FD281).
04.06.1971: Sold to Bonavista Cold Storage Co Ltd, St. John’s, Newfoundland renamed FURY V.
26.01.1972: Fleetwood registry closed Registry transferred to St John’s Newfoundland.
02.1972: Re-engined (12 cyl diesel by General Motors Corp, Le Grange 1500 BHP).
1984: Sold to The Lake Group Ltd, St. John’s.
1986: Sold to Fishery Products International Ltd, St.John’s.
1993: Sold to Naviera Fury S De R.L, San Lorenzo,Honduras.
2002: Sold to South African owners, renamed FURY.
2008: Vessels continued existence in doubt, removed from Lloyds Register of Shipping.
Click to enlarge images
19/11/2008: Page published. 11 revisions since then.
27/09/2014: Updated information.
22/04/2016: Restored images lost in site move.
Official Number: 365789
RSS Number: A13230
IMO Number: 7422506
Gross Tonnage: 161grt / 60nrt
Length: 23.25 m
Breadth: 6.86 m
Depth: 2.9 m
Engine: 4 stroke 6-cyl 750bhp/552kW oil engine by Mirrlees Blackstone Ltd, Stockport CP Propeller
1973: Ordered from Ryton Marine Ltd, Wallsend on Tyne for Sk. James McLean, Peterhead & Caley Fisheries Group, Aberdeen.
1974: Ryton Marine Ltd in liquidation.
1974: Order transferred to Intrepid Marine International Ltd, Berwick.
3.1975: Intrepid Marine International Ltd, Berwick in liquidation. Berwick Shipyard taken over by Associated Fisheries Ltd, Hull.
1975: Sk. McLean sold interest to Caley Fisheries Group, Peterhead.
1976: Shipyard continued building under title of Tweed Shipyard (Berwick) Ltd. Vessel transferred to Associated Fisheries Group.
1976: Launched by Tweed Shipyard (Berwick) Ltd, Berwick (Yd.No.1004) for British United Trawlers (Grimsby) Ltd, Grimsby (Associated Fisheries Group) as LORENZO.
1976: Allocated by British United Trawlers to Fleetwood (Wyre Trawlers Ltd, managers).
3.1977: Completed. Registered at Fleetwood (FD348).
1978: Sold to Sk. Arthur Buchan, Peterhead & Caley Fisheries (Peterhead) Ltd. Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Peterhead (PD239).
1990: Sold to Stephen Ritchie Jnr, St. Fergus & Others (Peterhead Fishermen Ltd, agents). Renamed SUNLIGHT (PD187).
199?: Fitted with a shelterdeck.
2002: Decommissioned and sold for demolition.
Click to enlarge image
17/11/2008: Page published. 6 updates since then.
16/04/2016: Restored image lost in site move.
Official number: 397734
RSS Number: A16761
Gross Tonnage: 47grt / 20nrt
Length: 21.1 m
Breadth: 5.43 m
Depth: 2.2 m
Built: Groningen, Netherlands
Engine: 4 stroke oil engine 400bhp/298kW by Cummins Engine Co Inc, Columbus Ind, USA
1964: Completed by Botje Ensing, Groningen for A. & J. Loosman, Urk as CORNELIS. Registered at Urk (UK70). Engine, Oil engine 4 stroke 4-cyl 220bhp by N.V. Appingedammer Bronsmotorenfabrik, Appingedam.
1973: Sold to Peter F. Haigh, Lowestoft. Urk registry closed. Registered at Lowestoft (LT261).
1977: Sold to Northern Divers Ltd, Hull. Fishing registration cancelled.
1979: Sold to David B. Nicholson, Annan. Renamed SHARWENDON(BA47). Registered under Part IV – 54g 54n.
1982: Sold to William Ansell & Brian Cato, Fleetwood. Ballantrae registry closed. Registered at Fleetwood (FD390). Re-registered 54g 20n Allotted O.N.
1982(?): Re-engined with 4 stroke oil engine 400bhp/298kW by Cummins Engine Co Inc, Columbus Ind, USA.
1985(?): Sold to Mallink Ltd, Douglas, IoM.
19??: Sold to Reginald Birch, Fleetwood.
1999: Sold for demolition.
Click to enlarge images
14/11/2008: Page published. 8 changes since then.
01/05/2014: Added picture.
31/01/2016: Picture added.
17/04/2016: Restored images lost in site move.
Official number: 184939
Yard number: 927
Gross tonnage: 577
Length: 160′ 9″
Breadth: 30′ 3″
Depth: 15′ 3″
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Engine: 10050bhp Mirlees, Bickerton & Day
Speed: 13 knots
Owner: Iago Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood
1956: Built for F & T Ross Ltd, Grimsby (Prince Philip GY 218)
12.08.1961: Sold to Abunda Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby and renamed BELGAUM.
01.01.1975: Sold to Iago Steam Fishing Co, Fleetwood.
1978: Sold to Dominion Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood.
1979: Sold for scrap to Medway Secondary Metals Ltd
17.03.1979 arrived at Rainham, Kent for breaking.
Click to enlarge images
13/11/2008: Page published. 13 updates since then.
15/05/2016: Restored images lost in site move.
Official number: 303793
Gross Tonnage: 74grt / 46nrt
Length: 68 ft
Built: Herd and Mackenzie, Buckie, 1959
1959: Launched by Herd and Mackenzie, Buckie as YUKON STAR. Registered at Buckie (BCK98)
1965: Registered at Fleetwood (FD242).
1972(?): Sold to Bantry Fishing Co Ltd & Strandby Fishing Co Ltd, Cleethorpes. Re-measured under Part IV of the Merchant Shipping Act 1894 and as a result lost her O.N. and became 50grt 50n.)
1973: To Bantry Fishing Co Ltd, Cleethorpes. Registered at Grimsby (GY288).
Late 1970s: Re-engined and owners became Bantry Fishing Co Ltd, Cleethorpes & Fylkir Ltd, Grimsby.
Around 1984: She was sold to Jack Robinson (Hull) Ltd, Driffield.
Around 1985: Sold to Magnus J. Jamieson, Shetland & Others and was renamed OUR VAN CLAIRE (GY288).
October 1985: Sold to Peter Lee and Steve Dell, Good Hope Fishing Company, Fleetwood.
1996: Decommissioned and broken up at Skippool.
Click to enlarge images
12/11/2008: Page published. 14 updates since then.
14/02/2016: Picture added.
18/04/2016: Restored images lost in site move.