I.V. Wild Cherry – FD429
Information courtesy of M. P. Evans, Heswall
Net Tonnage: 9.90 tons
Length: 33′ 10″
Breadth: 10′ 6″
Depth: 3′ 9″
Built: Lathom at Crossens, Southport
01/1904: Completed at Robert Lathom & Co., of Crossens, Southport as WILD CHERRY for John Jones, Dee View Road, Connahs Quay.
20/03/1906: Registered by owner at Chester (CH7).
25/01/1910: Sold to new owner and re-registered at Ramsey IOM as (RY24).
30/12/1918: Sold to Arthur Walker, Oaklea, Whitehaven and worked by Thomas Tubman.
08/11/1921: Reported as fitted with an engine.
21/02/1922: Sold to Herbert Wilson Walker, Lingmell, Seascale and registered at Whitehaven (WA22).
28/11/1923: Sold to Charles Schofield, 72 Adelaide Street, Fleetwood and registered at Fleetwood (FD429).
03/12/1924: Suffered engine damage.
05/01/1940: Sold to William Schofield, Crown Hotel Fleetwood.
13/08/1940: Sold to Robert Anderson Blackledge, Hatfield Avenue, Fleetwood.
25/04/1945: Sold to Vernon Cowpe, 81 Bold Street, Fleetwood and worked by Fred Price.
13/11/1946: Sold to Herbert Rawcliffe, 39 Poulton Road, Fleetwood.
19/5/1954: Sold to Ernest Wilson, 43 Poulton Road, Fleetwood.
14/6/1955: Sold to Willie Wilkinson, Lytham St Annes who laid her up in Allanson’s boatyard, Freckleton.
19/05/1959: Sold to for £90 to John Coulton, Long Lane, Banks, Southport and re-registered at Preston (PN34).
1959-60: Rebuilt including new decks, new wheelhouse, new upper stem, and rewiring at Crossens Sluice plus a Fowler diesel 1:1 gearbox fitted. On completion the boat was moored at Southport and Hesketh Bank and fished with Peter Rimmer of Marshside.
08/08/1962: Sold to FW Coward, Fernyhalgh Lane, Fulwood, Preston for £500.
09/07/1969: Sold to Arthur Mervyn Filton, Burnley, worked in 1971 by FW Groden, of Fleetwood.
24/06/1971: Received assistance from the Lytham St Annes Lifeboat ‘The Sarah Townsend Porritt”.
01/11/1973: Sold to Tom Gorew and Preston fishing registry closed.
27/07/1981: Returned to fishing under ownership of Michael Stephens of Rochdale.
27/07/1986: sold to K Lyne, Ashton under Lyne.
17/11/1988: Fishing registration removed under Merchant Shipping Act 1988.
1994: Rebuilt at Liverpool Marina by Jim Weir who sold her to new owners in Fiddlers Ferry.
12/1998: Parted moorings off Rock Ferry in the River Mersey and struck Rock Ferry Pier losing her lower stem, breaking the keel and capsizing.
01/1999: Aground, upside down and derelict alongside Tranmere Oil Terminal, eventually destroyed by wind and tide. Nothing remained by 2001.
Click to enlarge image