Boston Deep Sea FisheriesThe house flag of the Boston Deep Sea Fishing and Ice Co. Ltd. On a blue swallow-tailed burgee, there is a white shield with three red crowns. The design is loosely based on the arms of Boston, Lincolnshire – sable and three coronets. The flag is made of a wool and synthetic fibre bunting. It has a cotton hoist and shield. The flag is machine sewn. A rope and toggle is attached.
The shipping company was formed on 7 August 1885 and started in business with seven second-hand fishing smacks. Two new steam trawlers were launched for the company the following November. These vessels were initially based at Hull, but a fish quay and stores were shortly after built at Boston, Lincolnshire. By the 1890s the company was making a profit. In 1922, a collier, the Steam Ship ‘Lockwood’ went aground across the harbour mouth completely blocking it.
The vessel was salvaged by the Boston Deep Sea Fishing and Ice Co., but because the company had trouble obtaining payment from Boston Corporation for this work, the indignant owner, Fred Parkes, decided to move the business to Fleetwood and Grimsby. This marked the end of Boston as a major fishing port. During the years that followed the company acquired many subsidiaries and owned fleets in Fleetwood, Hull, Grimsby and Lowestoft. It was liquidated and reformed as Boston Deep Sea Fisheries. The company ended its operations in 1979 following the imposition of 200-mile fishing limits and EEC quotas.
Funnel - Cherry Red with Black top
Hull – Black with White line